I’ve had a few people ask me what I would recommend drinking instead of soda, regular or diet. I used to drink soda non-stop. I worked in the restaurant business for years, and having an endless flow of soda at my fingertips was very tempting. But after reading some of the side effects of High Fructose Corn Syrup and Aspartame, I’ve cut soda completely out of my diet for about 3 years now, diet soda has been almost 4 years. If I do end up having one, it’s usually an all natural soda like Blue Sky or Zevia. So what do I drink instead of soda:
- Mostly water. I drink lots and lots of water. I always make sure I get my minimum 64 ounces per day, but I shoot for more. During the hot, summer months I try to get at least 96oz of water.
- Coconut water. I usually drink the plain coconut water, but it also comes in flavors like Mango, Passion Fruit, and more. Coconut water has a lot of health benefits, including a lot of potassium & natural minerals, and it is great after a work out, to help balance your electrolyte levels.
- Sparkling water. If you are looking for the carbonation, try sparkling water. You can try the plain, but it often comes in lemon or lime flavors. I’ve also had sparkling water that has flavors added like cucumber, mint, or blueberry. I really enjoy the cucumber water.
- Make your own flavored sparkling water. In an 8oz glass, add a splash of cranberry juice or orange juice. This will give you a spritzer with flavor. You can also muddle some fruit or vegetables in the bottom of your glass before adding ice and sparkling water. This will give you a nice, natural kick to your water. Try this with cucumbers, mint, strawberries, or raspberries.
- You could also try a cup of tea. There are lots of different flavors out there and lots of different brands. It’s all about finding the one that works best for you.
- Have a cup of coffee. Coffee offers a lot of health benefits, but if you are sensitive to caffeine, be careful. I limit myself to 1 cup of coffee per day. That way if I am really dragging, I can have an extra cup and get the benefits of the added caffeine.
- On rare occasions, I will have an energy drink. But like with coffee, I really do limit these so I can get the full effect of the caffeine when it really is needed. The one I prefer is Steaz because they offer a zero calorie option, that is sweetened with stevia.
I hope this offers you a few new options for replacing both regular & diet soda. By replacing soda with the above options, you can lose weight, feel more energized, and reduce the amount of sugar and artificial sweeteners you are taking in.