You’re trying to lose weight, but you have an obligation to go out to a restaurant for lunch or dinner and just can’t get out of it. What do you do? Here are a few tips to help you eat healthy and stay on track when eating at a restaurant:
- Research the menu before you arrive. This way you know exactly what they have on the menu rather than just settling for something you think is healthy on the menu. A lot of restaurants now either provide a calorie count next to menu items or they have a low calorie section on the menu. Pick from there.
- Avoid high fat, high calorie condiments. When ordering, ask for items without cheese, sour cream, or other high calorie condiments. If you are ordering a salad, ask for the dressing on the side. That way you can determine exactly how much dressing is on your salad. I have noticed that when I ask for the dressing on the side, I only use about 1/4 – 1/2 of the amount that they actually give me.
- When ordering, ask the server for a to-go box with your meal. Once your meal arrives, place half of your meal in the to-go box. Out of sight, out of mind. 🙂
- Slow down, chew your food, and pay attention to your hunger level. As soon as you are full, stop eating. Don’t eat until you are stuffed, just until you are satisfied.
- If everyone at the table is ordering dessert, ask for a side of fruit. You’ll be surprised at how this will satisfy your sweet tooth. Plus have you looked at the calorie count on desserts at some of your favorite restaurants? For example, the Chocolate Chip Cookie Sundae at Applebee’s clocks in at a whopping 1,660 calories!!!! Skip the dessert, and go for the fruit!
When you are watching what you eat, you can eat healthy while at a restaurant, but stay educated. Stick with your healthy choices and you will feel much better after dinner!