Unfortunately when you are trying to eat healthy, there are always going to be invitations to restaurants with friends & family, and what comes with that is temptation. While it’s always best to eat as many meals at home as you can, you can still go out to eat on occasion and still be healthy. You may just have to do a little research before going.
- Research the menu before arriving at the restaurant. This way you know what you want to order or at least have an idea, and you can choose what to do to keep it as healthy as possible.
- Start your meal off with a salad. This will make your stomach feel a little more full when that entree arrives.
- If you order a salad, ask for the salad with no cheese or croutons. Also by asking for the dressing on the side, you’ll cut down the calorie intake. Try using half of the dressing they bring you. You may be pleasantly surprised by the flavors you are able to taste when it’s not slathered in dressing.
- If ordering an entree, try eating only half. Portion sizes are outrageous in restaurants, meaning you can almost get 2 meals for the price of 1. 🙂 Get a box and take the other half home to have at a later time.
- Don’t drink your calories. Rather than getting a soda with your meal, go for a water. Ask for a lemon or lime wedge to add some extra flavor.
- Skip dessert or order fresh fruit to curb that sweets craving.
When we go out to eat, my tastes can vary. I try to keep it as healthy as I can, sometimes ordering off the low calorie menu or ordering a salad as my entree. What are some of your favorite healthy meals at restaurants?