What is the meaning of grounded? It means, “sensible and down-to-earth; having one’s feet on the ground”. Does this sound like you or do you feel like you are being tugged in every direction 24 hours a day? Here are some tips to help you stay grounded:
- Stay Organized – this is for both at home and at work. This can start by making your bed every day before leaving the house, picking up items that are out of place at home, or before you leave work, clean up your desk.
- It’s okay to say no! – If you don’t want to do something, and it is not imperative that you do it, you can say no. Maybe there is a BBQ that afternoon, but you’d rather stay at home and relax, or get some errands done. It is okay to say no and plan your day the way you want to plan it. Don’t spread yourself thin if you don’t need to.
- Use relaxation & breathing techniques – This can be in the form of just sitting in a quite room and focusing on your breathing, or give meditation a try. You could also take up a yoga class to help with this.
- Take time for you and what you enjoy – Is there something that you’ve been wanting to do, but just don’t have the time. Make time. Schedule it into your day so there are no excuses as to why you can’t take time for yourself. Maybe you wanted to see a new movie that was just released, or get outside and start that garden. Just make time for yourself and what you want to do.
- Appreciate the lessons that we’ve been taught – Even when times are bad, there are lessons to be learned. Step back and focus on what you’ve learned or what you can learn and how you can benefit. This will turn a negative thing into a positive. And if something is going well, step back, recognize the lesson, and appreciate what that lesson taught you.
- Eat whole, natural foods. You are what you eat so why not be a whole and complete person nourished by the food on this Earth. Focus on eating lean proteins, fresh fruits, fresh veggies, and whole grains.
- Eat seasonally & locally – This is a great way to focus on the world around you and the impact that you can have day to day.
- Exercise – Just get up and move, even if it’s during the commercial of your favorite TV show. Just get moving!
- Pick up a new, relaxing hobby! – Try for something creative. You might be surprised what relaxes you. Go for something like pottery, knitting, gardening, etc.