One of the best ways to lose weight is by watching your portions. Portions over the years have gotten bigger and bigger, along with the waistlines of your average American, causing obesity rates among adults, adolescents, and kids to rise at an alarming rate! Here are some tips to help you control your portions:
- Portion out healthy snacks into individual servings. This can include whole grain crackers, fruits, veggies, and more. By taking 1 hour a week to portion out snacks and meals, you can cut down on your calorie intake. It also helps ensure that you snack and eat healthy when on the go.
- Read the serving size on the label. You may be surprised at how small a serving is and how many calories you are really eating. For example, I would snack on chips and salsa. One serving of chips which includes 12 chips total is about 140 calories. I would easily eat double the serving size, adding an extra 300+ calories to my intake for the day for 1 snack.
- Use smaller dishes. The more full your plate looks, the less food you’ll pile on!
- Eat a salad before your meal. Don’t forget to skip the cheese and croutons, and get the dressing on the side when eating at a restaurant.
- When eating at a restaurant, ask for a to-go box when your meal comes out. Place half of the meal in your box before you start to eat and take that home for a meal the next day.
- Eat until you are only 80% full, then stop. Your body doesn’t need to be stuffed to be effective! Just fuel your body with exactly what it needs and how much it needs.
- Split up portions on the plate (use the example to the left). Fill your plate with more vegetables than anything else, then with the remaining half fill that with lean proteins and whole grains.
- Plan meals ahead of time. By having your meals planned out, it will make it so you are not scrambling to make something for dinner or running out to grab fast food or take out.