Ahhh the kitchen! One of my favorite places to be. Cooking is like my own personal form of therapy. I get to relax, be creative, and in the meantime feed my family a delicious and nutritious meal. I love it! If I could be in the kitchen all day playing with flour, spices, and whatever else, it’d be my own slice of heaven! The funny thing is that when my husband and I first started dating, I honestly didn’t even know how to hard boil eggs! Through lots of trial and error, I can consider myself a little bit of a seasoned cook. I don’t have the formal training of a chef, and my food is far from fancy. But it’s my creation, my hard work, and I truly feel that cooking is an art. So here is a list of some of my favorite kitchen basics:
- Blender – I have never had a quality blender until my husband bought me one for Christmas this year. I was so excited, and I use it mulitple times a week. A quality blender is worth spending money on.
- A quality set of knives – Another Christmas gift over the years are quality knives and a knife sharpener. It’s so nice not having to struggle when dicing up meat and veggies, and when they start to go dull, just sharpen them right up. 🙂
- Storage containers for grains – I recently bought containers for all our grains, rather than having plastic bags from the bulk section taking up my cupboards. I labeled each one so I know exactly what is in it. We have one for white rice, wild rice, steel cut oats, cous cous, quinoa, and a few others. It makes it so convenient to store and easy to find.
- Measuring cups & spoons – I have a few sets of measuring cups and spoons. There are often times I need 1 cup of a wet ingredient and 1 cup of a dry ingredient. Having multiple sets makes this easy to work with.
- A nice set of pots and pans – They come in so many different shapes and sizes, so definitely figure out what you need and what you use the most. There are variations that are non-stick to woks to giant frying pans. I love having a variation of pans. My favorite is a really large frying pan with 3 inch sides that my son bought me for a holiday, I can’t remember which one. Apparently if you don’t know what to get me as a present, kitchen supplies are always a hit 🙂
- Rice cooker – I love my rice cooker. Just set it and forget it! I use it for white rice, sushi rice, brown rice, black rice, all of it!
- Crock pot – I use my crock pot usually 1-2 times per week. I typically use it on days when I know I won’t have a lot of time to prepare a meal, for example if we have soccer practice or parent teacher conference. Once again, set it and forget it!
There is a list of some of my favorite kitchen basics. What are some of your favorites that you can’t live without??