Is Drinking Coffee the Right Choice for You? Find the original article here!
Benefits of Drinking Coffee
On some days when you are running low on energy, the best thing to help boost your energy is coffee. But is it the right choice for you? There are a lot of factors to take into account when it comes to coffee and the amount of caffeine you drink on a regular basis. Green Coffee Extract and caffeine have many health benefits such as:
- Improved alertness
- Increased concentration
- Reduced muscle pain
- Added antioxidants
- Asthma relief
Risks of Drinking Coffee
However, before you start drinking gallons of coffee, take these risks into account:
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Adrenal exhaustion
- Amplified stress
- Emotional disturbances
Coffee does offer a lot of health benefits, but sometimes the amount of caffeine you drink daily can outweigh the benefits. A cup of coffee can contain anywhere from 65 – 200 mg of caffeine. For most healthy adults, drinking between 200 – 300 mg per day is not harmful, and can give them that boost they need in the morning or mid-afternoon. However, when someone is a heavy caffeine user, consuming more than 500 – 600 mg of caffeine per day, it can cause issues long term as well as short-term. Short-term issues could be restlessness, insomnia, upset stomachs, and blood sugar swings.
Drinking Coffee Summary
What should you do if you really enjoy the taste of coffee, but not necessarily all the caffeine that is associated with it? There are a lot of alternatives to coffee such as herbal coffee and decaffeinated coffee. Sometimes limiting your amount of caffeine intake can actually help boost the effects of caffeine. For example, limit yourself to one cup of coffee per day in the morning. On the days where you really need that added energy boost, you’ll feel the effects of the 2nd cup of coffee much more than if you drink coffee throughout the day. The best way to find out what is best for you is by experimenting. Try different decaffeinated coffees, herbal coffees, different strengths of coffee, and more. Notate your mood and energy level throughout the day and you can see what really benefits you the most.
We all have days or weekends where we overindulge and end up paying for it. That was me this last weekend. We have a local sandwich shop that has the most amazing Philly Cheesesteak EVER! Normally I get a 6-inch, and am full for most of the day. This time, I decided I’ll get a 12-inch, and have half for lunch and half for dinner. This along with a sweet care package from my step-sister in Montana that contained beer and taffy, was a recipe for disaster. My body certainly hated me for the whole next day. We all have days like this though. We know we shouldn’t indulge, but we do and end up paying for it. However, it’s a good thing to recognize these days and try our best to make them few and far between. So after you have these type of days, how do you recover and can you? Here are a few tips to help you along the way:
- Have a fruit & veggie filled juice to help you recover. Some of my favorite items to use are kale, oranges, apples, lemons, carrots, and pears, but there are a lot of options. If you buy a store bought juice, make sure it’s 100% juice without any added sweeteners or preservatives. Honestly when I make my own juice, I can feel a huge difference in my energy level. And the fruit that I add to my juices are already so sweet, I don’t need to add anything else.
- For lunch, have a salad. You can make your own dressing if you’d like or use an all natural dressing. In the picture posted with this article, my salad was made of arugula, olives, artichoke hearts, sesame seeds, and Woodstock dressing. I paired this salad with 32oz of water and a smoothie, that was dairy & sugar free.
- For dinner, make something at home using only whole, natural ingredients. Don’t buy something that is going to be quick and easy. You can make quick & easy meals at home too. You could make a meal in the slow cooker, like the Chicken Potato Indian Curry or Coconut Chicken which only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Drink plenty of water! Shoot for at least 64oz of water, but ideally you should drink about 1/2 your weight in ounces of water per day. For example, if you weigh 150lbs, drink 75oz of water per day.
- Get out and exercise! Nothing makes me feel more on track than when I get a good workout in for at least 30 minutes. I like that I am getting my body moving and sweating out any of the toxins that may be lingering around from my over-indulgence.
If you are really feeling like you dug yourself a big hole, you may want to consider doing a 7-day detox. You’ll feel like a brand new person by the time those 7 days are up. It’s a great tool that you can use seasonally to really get back into the swing of things and really take control of your health by getting back on track.
Craving something crunchy, sweet, salty, or creamy? Well here is your go to guide for healthy snacks depending on your craving:
- frozen grapes
- rice cakes
- light popcorn or plain popcorn
- veggies and dip (like hummus, tabouli, vinaigrette)
- celery & peanut butter
- hummus & whole grain toast
- fresh fruit
- yogurt & fruit
- apples & almond butter
- whole grain bread and jam
- frozen yogurt
- dried fruit
- grains drizzled with maple syrup, cinnamon, bananas, etc.
- fruit ice cream
- fresh squeezed juice
- sweet veggies like yams, sweet potatoes, sqaush – try baking them and sprinkling them with cinnamon
- organic dark chocolate
- pickles or pickled veggies
- vegetables with umeboshi vinegar
- tortilla chips with salsa and/or guacamole (go for a whole grain chip option)
- lemon juice in your water
- organic cheese
- rice pudding
- dips & spreads
- pureed soups
- sweet potatoes
- coconut milk
There is a reason that the health & wellness industry is a multi-billion dollar industry each year? We all want to look good and feel better, but is a diet going to work for you? Here is my take on diets and if they work?
Do diets work? Yes, for at least a short time. A lot of diets that are out on the market will help you lose weight, but the idea of sustaining them for a long period of time isn’t feasible. Also a lot of diets out there don’t teach you the do’s and dont’s of eating, they don’t tell you what foods you should probably avoid always or even occasionally indulge in. Once you lose the weight, they tend to leave you high and dry.
I personally think diets can be great to lose weight, but not every diet is suitable for every person. There are some people that thrive on a vegan diet while others feel low on energy and lethargic. Other people thrive on the Atkin’s diet, but then others just can’t seem to succeed. With Elite Health Coaching, I’ve learned about over 100 different dietary theories, everything from vegan to Atkins to the Ice Cream Diet and everything in between. I’m a firm believer in healthy eating leads to a healthy you. But with so much discussion about ingredients and chemicals, figuring out what is healthy can be a headache that most people don’t want to tackle. Well that’s what Elite Health Coaching is here for. We are here to help make the transition to healthy eating easy to understand, easy to follow, and easy to sustain long term! If you are interested in working with Elite Health Coaching to improve your health and improve your eating habits, fill out the form below. We can schedule a FREE 50-minute Healthy Goals Meeting!
With so many things going on all of the time, it is no wonder that we are stressed! A few things that can cause stress are: money situations, family life, overload of activities, career, family, relationships, etc. But how do you know when you are really stressed out! Here are are few symptoms of stress:
- Memory Issues
- Negative Attitude
- Aches & Pains
- Eating Less or Eating More
- Weakened Immune System (always getting sick)
- Overwhelmed Feeling
- Stomach Issues such as Diarrhea, Nausea, Vomiting, etc.
- Sleep Issues (Getting Too Much or Too Little)
When it comes to stress, it’s okay to slam on the breaks and SLOW DOWN! When we are feeling overwhelmed, take a step back. Look at the whole situation and figure out a solution, whether it is delegating a task to a co-worker or family member or even something as simple as going out to eat rather than cooking at home. There will always be stressful things in our lives, that’s just part of living. How we handle those things is how we are able to control the amount of stress in our lives and how it interferes with us being us! Anytime I start to get extremely stressed and I can feel that anxiety building, the stomach ache slowly getting worse, I take a step back and practice The Three – 5’s. This is related to breathing. What it means is to take a deep breath in while counting to 5, then exhale counting to 5. Do this 5 times. See that – breathe in for 5, breathe out for 5, for a total of 5 times: The Three – 5’s! It helps me escape my mini-meltdown in a positive way. After the first set I can start to feel the stomach ache go away, the anxiety slipping out of brain, and I can refocus my attention to the issue in a positive manner. This can be helpful when it comes to driving in traffic, parenting, co-workers, or relationships.
During the next week, try The Three – 5′s approach and let me know how it goes in the comments below!
The food we eat on a regular basis can cause our bodies to have a reaction such as headaches, irritability, inflammation, obesity, and more. A detox allows our body to get some rest from every day stresses and help heal our body. Our bodies already eliminate waste through the colon, liver, kidneys, etc. But the Elite Health Coaching detox programs and cleanses are meant to boost all aspects of your body’s natural detoxification system, giving it the extra boost it occasionally needs.
Why should you do a detox?
- Boost your immune system to prevent illnesses such as the flu, cold, etc.
- Boost your mood, energy, and productivity by clearing your mind.
- Shed excess weight!
Because everybody’s needs are different, Elite Health Coaching offers a wide-variety of detox programs and cleanses.
- The first option is the Seasonal Detox Guide by Elite Health Coaching. During these detox programs, you will find yourself feeling more awake, lighter, and more aware of your body and your body’s cravings. During the 7-day detox, you will avoid all processed foods, alcohol, refined sugars, refined flours, and more. You will focus on staying hydrated, eating clean, and curbing your sweet tooth with things like fruits and sweet vegetables. I recommend doing one detox every 3 months. Visit us here to see what time of year a detox should be done.
- The next option is the Elite Health Coaching Junk Food Cleanse. This is a personalized 11-day email program where you’ll be supported by a Certified Health Coach giving you suggestions, tips, motivation, and encouragement daily to help you successfully cleanse your body from junk food!
- Another option is the Elite Health Coaching Sugar Cleanse. This is also a personalized 11-day email program where you’ll be supported by a Certified Health Coach giving you suggestions, tips, motivation, and encouragement daily to help you kick sugar to the curb! This is a great cleanse if you find that you are craving sugar/sweets at a specific time of day every day, never have a satisfied sweet tooth, or if you notice you start to withdrawal from sugar if you don’t have sugar regularly.
Do you have questions about doing a detox or cleanse? Contact me directly with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org OR (801) 673-0427 OR fill out the form below!